Carburator issues

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Club International User Forum: MTFCI General Discussion Forum : Carburator issues
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Spaulding on Saturday, March 12, 2011 - 3:01 pm:

I have a '26 Tudor Sedan. Bought a new carb for it and it leaks fuel which is why i purchased a new one. I took it apart and all the pieces/ gaskets are in place. Any ideas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Sunday, March 13, 2011 - 10:16 am:

Return it and ask for one that doesn't leak?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rwilliams on Sunday, March 13, 2011 - 10:35 am:

Where is it leaking? Could your fuel be getting rust from line or tank?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Dupree on Sunday, March 13, 2011 - 11:53 am:

When you drain gas from the sediment bowl and/or carburetor is it clean? Or is there some fine sand in the gas. The fine sand is fuel tank rust, and would be the cause for the carburetor to leak.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Spaulding on Sunday, March 13, 2011 - 2:47 pm:

It is leaking out the back side of the carb throughthe choke/ warm air intake and out the engine side through a hole in the cast where the choke pin is secured.
It has clean gas and have sealed the tank and sediment bowl.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Sunday, March 13, 2011 - 3:15 pm:

You could try to rap it a few times with a metal tool on the casting, the float needle may be stuck open, and allowing the flooding.

Have had that happen with those Grose jet (ball bearing) needles.

Or else the float is set way too high.

Or...maybe return it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 8:41 am:

If you bought one of the new NH's it should not leak but can likely be easily corrected. If however by "new" you mean a rebuilt which is new to you then the problem could well be a "Grose Jet" float valve as Dan stated. The best one of those I've ever seen were at the bottom of the trash can in my garage.

If you in fact bought a new one, check the float level as Dan stated. It is either too high or the needle is sticking off the seat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By MarkG on Friday, March 18, 2011 - 12:12 pm:

When is it leaking, when choking? That would be normal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott spaulding on Friday, May 20, 2011 - 7:19 pm:

I ended up returning the NH Carburator and replaced it with a Kingston L-4.
So far no leaks and starts right up

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration