Radiator Caps

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Club International User Forum: MTFCI General Discussion Forum : Radiator Caps
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DarinHull on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 8:57 am:

So for years I remember grandpa having a radiator cap on the 1913 T that was in the shape of a T and had a built in thermometer. He switched to a plain brass dome type cap because (if I remember correctly, this was 15+ years ago) he said that he was having problems overheating.

Most pictures of Ts I've seen have the dome style cap. But I've also seen many with a T style. Anyone know the story on these caps?

Thank you,
Darin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 9:15 am:

Those are common accessory 'dog bone' style caps, made it easier to twist turn the hot cap, as the arms are outboard and cool off in the air.

The thermometer is the famous 'Motometer' found on many teens and twenties cars.

New reproductions of both are made today, or you can find good originals at swap meets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DarinHull on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 10:06 am:

So, were the dog bone and gull wings, with motometer, an accessory that people commonly purchased back in the day for their Ts? Without a disclaimer about the T owner being able to do what they want to their car... Do most T owners find it acceptable to have these dog bone or gull wing caps on Ts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 2:24 pm:

For points judging at Nat'l tour meet Judging Field, the T's are accessed points off for accessories. The T is to be like it came from the factory on the month or day it was built.

Also, some like the std Ford cap just for its quaint look. But that said, the benefits of the dog bone to remove the cap are great, the thermometer of the Motometer is good for temp indication while touring.

I personally like the accessory rad caps......
some are very rare, like the Henry Bust cap, one original was offered at Hershey this Oct for $2500 asking!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wally Hunt on Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 2:23 pm:

I use a dogbone with a motormeter to drive with and an original for show. Dan is absolutely right about the National Meets. The judges asked a guy next to me to remove his multi flag bearing motometer cap. Apparently he had fewer points deducted for a missing cap, V, an incorrect cap. He did get a 1st Junior.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Scherzer on Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 5:29 pm:

Over the years I have enjoyed reproducing some of the unusual hood ornaments used on Model T's as well as other makes. Bob

hood ornaments

hood ornaments

hood ornaments

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 10:03 pm:

I couple of years ago at the Kanab, Utah tour they had a radiator cap competition. Guys designed their own radiator caps and some used old originals like posted above. They were judged by the public the opening night BBQ in the park and prizes were awarded at the closing banquet. It was a lot of fun. I had the winning cap posted below it is remote controlled from 200 feet away. I had a blast spraying people as they walked by.

The following link will show many of the caps that were in the competition.
http://www.canyoncountrymodeltclub.com/Slide%20Show%20Radiator%20Caps.pdf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Scherzer on Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 11:15 pm:

Put this guy on my T fire truck as my first responder.

hood ornaments

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debra Waseman on Saturday, May 18, 2013 - 7:40 pm:

Where would be the best place to sell an original Henry Ford bust radiator cap that I inherited from my father? Also what would the value be for such an item? I believe they were for model T cars...

Thank You

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas (Tdumas) on Friday, May 24, 2013 - 10:45 am:

e-bay, if its a neat looking cap that folks like it might bring a good price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem (Jerry_van) on Wednesday, May 29, 2013 - 4:36 pm:

Debra,

An original Henry Ford cap should do very well on eBay.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration