What is it worth? 1919 Truck

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Club International User Forum: MTFCI General Discussion Forum : What is it worth? 1919 Truck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Simmos on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 7:37 pm:

Am completely new to Model T's.
I have run across a restored 1919 Model T truck.
I believe it is a one ton. It has a wood flat bed body with wood stake sides. Spokes are wood and it has the original 4 cylinder engine. Runs/starts well and drives well.
My question is....
What is this worth?
The seller is asking $12,500
I need some knowledgeable assistance to negotiate, and I need to know what others think.
Of course, I realize that the real value is in it's value to me, but I need some pointers.
Help...Please!
Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thunder on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 9:28 pm:

Pictures?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J Sims on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 11:19 am:

Just my opinion, The asking price is much more than it is worth if it is a Model T ton truck with worm drive rear end. You will find the very slow speed prevents touring with most other T's.
If it is a truck built on a car chassis it still is over priced because it most likely not a factory built vehicle. The only black era T's worth that amount would be a show room restoration. On the other hand, to build this same truck would probably cost clost to the asking price, if you must hire the work done by others.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 6:43 pm:

Check out completed sales using the words Model T on eBay Motors. You'll find TT trucks mixed in with the cars. It'll give you an idea what the truck is worth. As a general rule, trucks are not worth the same money as cars, about 60% I'd guess. Not only that, prices of black era Ts have taken a nose dive since the recession began. Again, check out the prices of completed sales.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Williams on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 10:48 pm:

TT's have grown in popularity over the recent years, but I would agree the value is less than the equivalent car of the same year, but honestly itís worth whatever you can get someone to pay. Personally, I agree with a previous poster that on the average it probably not worth the $12K asking price. Itís very easy to invest more money in restoring a late model Model T than what its resale value would be. Many larger restoration shops wonít restore Model T and As for this very reason because itís just too hard to turn a profit for shops with larger overhead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hans Johsens on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 8:13 pm:

Hey all,
I'm new to the forum and have the same question as Bill (different truck though Bill, so don't think I'm trying to buy it out from under you!)

I just picked up a 1946 Jeep CJ2A from an old friend of mine and asked him what he had planned for his old T one-ton truck and he said I could make him an offer.

Now, I don't want to insult the guy, but it is in pretty rough shape, but all of the parts are there in different locations. The engine and transmission are out of it (but still there, stored inside). The roof was damaged by an oak tree, and there was a small amount of cab damage too, albeit fairly easily repaired. The bed has "Ford Truck" embossed in script on the tailpiece.
I didn't take pictures, but I can go take some next week if you need some. He used to drive it around and took it partially apart to restore before getting distracted by building his house about twenty years ago and never got back to the truck.

Any insight would be helpful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Augustinovich on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 4:34 pm:

http://www.manheimgold.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 8:24 pm:

Hans, to me $1000 tops

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George - NJ on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 5:25 pm:

William S...

You hit the nail on the head with your first comment, willing seller/willing buyer.

We may all be the greatest bunch of guys on the face of the earth but to answer your question, we are all a bunch of city slickers when it comes to selling, and the best country bumpkins when it comes to buying.

Rule #1 is that there are no rules. I agree that unless you and a bunch of others are all one ton,Or that you are going to solo all the time in your fun,that a one ton worm drive would be worth less that what you see for the regular chassis. Can you spell C-R-A-W-L? Many actually like the slow speed performance so who the heck really knows, personal preference.

Once the rear end difference is out of the way, the rest is pretty much the same. Sound engine, weak engine, good engine, great engine? Will put you back 4K or so plus to put to great. Other stuff will be nickel dimey, it is a T after all. Then it will need a brother or sister down the line [that one just sort of happens :-) no one knows why]

Might help to say where you are located as the one thing great about this group is that it IS a band of brothers. Chances are there are guys nearby that would be willing to show you what they have, talk you through some of the right questions.

Do remember, you CAN wind up having more in them than what someone else is willing to pay. Happens to most of us. It's the joy, the fun, and the family that comes along with it that makes it all worth while. Too many think of antique cars as alternate investments for their cash. Can actually be worse than stock market perfomance, but those that love the hobby don't care.

Get yourself a bracket price from e-bay, some locals, from here, and if interested go back to the guy with a fair offer. He then either says...I'd burn it before I'd sell it for that! Or, OK...we are pretty close, let's talk some more!

Late Brass Model T is sound driver and good overall condition, all there? >>> ~ 12-15K
Annual cost to keep it that way? >>> 1-2K
Somewhere in your owning it? >>> 4k overhaul minimum

The fun and enjoyment? >>> PRICELESS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 7:49 pm:

Hey George, What part of NJ ya from. I strated with a TT. Gave $4000.00 for it 5 years ago. Still have a lot of fun with it. But it to needed company so it now has a 1919 touring car and a 1915 Smith to keep it company. Now I trying figuer out how to play with all three at the same time!!! And to think the wife thought the new garage was for her car...LOL Waiting for spring here in NJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf on Sunday, January 30, 2011 - 12:22 pm:

I agree, a TT would have to be in fantastic restored condition to come anywhere close to twelve grand. There's a 1919 TT for sale here locally, advertised at $14,995. The dealer keeps advertising it, but it's not going anywhere. I'd be surprised to see any TT sell for more than ten thousand, and most go for considerably less.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson on Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 8:57 am:

Bill & Hans, George is correct all Model T or TT are not a good investments, however if you want it just for enjoyment they can not be beat. My advice is to join a locale Model T club or at least go to some meetings and either have members look at the vehicle or have it done by an appraiser.

Happy motoring, Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson on Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 9:12 am:

Bill, here is club info:
CHESAPEAKE BAY T'S
Robert Prouse
105 South Main Street
Federalsburg, MD 21632

Hans, here is club info:
CALIFORNIA CAPITOL T'S
Hal Schedler
3712 Haven Glen Pl.
Sacramento, CA 95821

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson on Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 9:27 am:

Hans, I have found a club nearer to you:

South Valley Model T Ford Club
c/o Dan Delwiche
P. O. Box 504
San Martin, CA 95046
408-426-0686

web site: http://www.sout hvalleymodeltfo rdclub.org/

Currently, the SVMTFC meets the second Tuesday of each month at 6pm at the
LONGHOUSE STEAKHOUSE RESTAURANT
8193 Monterey Street, Gilroy, CA.
(408) 842-7664

Happy motoring, Warren

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration