Auxillary brakes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Club International User Forum: MTFCI General Discussion Forum : Auxillary brakes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Steen on Thursday, November 18, 2010 - 12:03 pm:

So I have a Ruxstell on my '26 Touring and really like the way it enhances hill climbing etc while touring. I plan on taking a little cross country trip (cross state would be more accurate)next summer and I think it would be a good idea to put some auxillary brakes on the car to make it safer. I have all winter to do it so I'm doing a little research first to determine best option for the cost. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz on Thursday, November 18, 2010 - 1:20 pm:

Having had Rocky Mountain brakes that would fade on long hills, not work when wet or when going backward,i put hydraulic disc brakes on my 26 coupe and now i don't have a problem. The opinions will vary but thats my experience.
Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler on Thursday, November 18, 2010 - 10:12 pm:

I also have disc brakes and they don't fade or care if they are wet etc. Only way to go even at $1000.00 + OR -. I have a set of RM take offs available.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By B McGuire on Friday, November 19, 2010 - 7:55 am:

I have RM brakes on three of seven Model T's. They work fine if they are adjusted properly, and that includes having the internal tranny brake adjusted, and the service brake adjusted. I had a set on the car that I drove from New York to Seattle and I might have tightened them twice in that trip.

I also have a warford in the touring, a muncie overdrive in the TT, and a Ruckstell in the centerdoor (the three that have RM brakes) and for the most part, I sorta drive the cars like they are Model T's, not Corvettes. I learned to drive a T when I was ten and my Uncle told me, "pretend like you have no brakes at all, and you will be pleased every time you press that pedal down."

That being said, I want to try a set of hydraulic brakes one day. I just need to find another car.

Billy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Friday, November 19, 2010 - 8:38 am:

Repro outside rear brakes do make driving a Model T more confident...that is to say 'more', do you have to take care in an antique such as the T. But having more brake is good.

Have the Rocky's on my main touring T, and like them. But drive like a T should be driven, not fast and lots of low pedal or reverse sometimes on steep down hills grades. Those rear outside brakes are useful when you want to halt.

Install on the touring:

and for the small drum, pre-'26 using the repro 'A-C' type outside brakes, made by Larry Sidmore, keeping the looks of the car to period parts.

Those disc brakes may be the best, but too modern for my T's and driving habits :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Steen on Friday, November 19, 2010 - 11:51 am:

So does anyone make a hydraulic brake unit ready to install?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Owen on Friday, November 19, 2010 - 3:59 pm:

Dan, what type of equalizer did you use with the A/C repro brakes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Monday, November 22, 2010 - 10:13 am:

Thomas
Bill Tharp-Loveland, Colorado 970-667-3992
You can see photos on the MTFCI Forum.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Monday, November 22, 2010 - 8:59 pm:

Charlie

Haven't done the linkage yet, wish I could find old original. So will just fabricate something with cables and dual pulley set-up to do the job like original...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Owen on Tuesday, November 23, 2010 - 3:35 am:

Dan

Thanks for the reply. Larry sent Zerox copies of a pulley setup that I am trying to use, hard to make out because of poor resolution.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Tuesday, November 23, 2010 - 9:32 am:

Charlie

Another adv closeup view, showing the AC hookup, this is the pattern I'm using......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph W. Rudzik on Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 8:10 pm:

Dan,
What is the name of the green linning you that is being used for the brakes and who do I get in touch with for the small outside brakes as you have in the picture?
Thank you.

Joe R.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 10:30 pm:

Joe

Contact Larry for the AC re-pro brakes for the small drum axle. He will sell the brake shoes, but no linkage.....gets around liability issues for him. The quality of the castings and workmanship is most appreciated for those of us who like the keep the T looking its period in time.

I don't know what the brake band material is, but green and stiff, should grab well....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso on Wednesday, December 01, 2010 - 12:11 pm:

I believe it is named "green grabber" actually.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph W. Rudzik on Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 3:20 pm:

Thanks Dan and Steve,
I currently use the "green grabber" for the brakes on my '26 Roadster and it works well, but thought there might be something that would bite a little more.
Thank you for the contact info for the small drum brakes.
Green Grabber. Sounds like something the Green Goblin would use againts SpiderMan!

Thanks again.

Joe R.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Art Langrish on Saturday, February 26, 2011 - 9:10 pm:

Dan: I really appreciate you posting the AC brake pictures. I'm also interested in the fabricated internal brake shoes. Please let me know the source.
Art Langrish

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Monday, February 28, 2011 - 7:42 pm:

Art

Those 'internal' emergency brake shoes are old aftermarket steel shoes found at swap meet. Relined with Model A emergency brake shoe lining.

You have to just locate these at swaps or place a classified adv. for a set.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Art Langrish on Monday, February 28, 2011 - 10:10 pm:

Thanks Dan. I now know what to look for. I think it's also time that I join the MTFCA!
Art

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration